Paper is more than a substrate on which to print. It has personality. It can be warm or cool. Bright or mellow. Earthy or blingy. Let’s look at some key factors that impact the personality of your paper:
1. Lighter and brighter? Brightness refers to the amount of light that is reflected from the paper. Brightness is measured on a scale of 1 to 100. The brighter the paper (or the closer the measurement to 100), the more your colors will pop. Papers with lower brightness will soften your colors, especially when the paper is uncoated.
2. Warm shades or cool? Paper comes in a variety of shades. The bluer the shade, the “cooler” the feel. Paper with yellow undertones will have a warmer feel. Think blue tones for the annual report. Warm shades for the invitations to your company’s summer picnic.
3. Impact of texture. Textured papers can elicit strong emotional reactions. Linen communicates elegance. Cotton conveys high quality and official communication. Recycled sheets, especially if they contain imperfections, are perfect for environmentally conscious clients. Smooth, high-gloss papers carry a corporate feel.
4. Shine it up! Gloss, matte, satin, uncoated, and metallic* sheets all take ink differently. Uncoated sheets allow the ink to soak in and create a more subtle look. High-gloss sheets cause colors to jump out and grab attention.
5. Time to gain weight? Papers are also classified by weight. The heavier the sheet, the more gravitas the communication has. Want to communicate a premier or elite feel? Use a heavier stock. The heavier paper also conveys durability and permanence.
Your choice of substrate is like a flashy smile or a warm glance that sets the tone for the rest of the conversation.
Ask us to show you samples of how different paper styles impact the conversations you are having.
* Did you know? Print Pointe has metallic paper in stock and with the 5th color option on our digital presses, we can add a white underlayer to your art so metal only shows through where you want creating new design options and ways to catch your audience’s eye. Email or call (303-750-5566) us today to learn more!